Participants at a recent Wardens’ Conference adopted the following Diocesan guidelines for vestry nominations. The guidelines were written by Mr. Belser several years ago and have been endorsed by the Vestry of St. Michael’s.
1. Have you believed in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, acknowledged him as your Savior, and accepted him as the Lord of your life?
2. Are you committed, as God enables you, to worship him with your parish family every week?
3. Are you involved in, or actively seeking, some form of ministry by which you will give your time and talents in or through your church?
4. Are you working to maintain or develop your personal devotional life through regular prayer and study and through periodic gatherings with a small group of other Christians for fellowship, study and prayer?
5. Are you and your family committed to trusting God with a pledge of your anticipated income, with the tithe (10%) as the standard?
6. Are you prepared (or will you learn) to seek opportunities to explain your faith describing in appropriate ways God’s action in Jesus Christ and his work in your life?
7. Do you accept the responsibility of demonstrating your faith through your living, maintaining a good reputation and manifesting the fruit of the Spirit in such ways that Christ is glorified?
8. Are you willing to serve as an “elder” of your congregation, seeking only God’s will for his Church, and giving attention to the spiritual life of the congregation as well as to the financial and administrative decisions?
9. Are you willing to support parish functions — social and spiritual — with your work and attendance, placing parish activities high on your list of priorities?
10. Are you committed, as God enables you, to attend every meeting of the vestry, to participate in the annual retreat, and to pray daily for your parish?
November 22, 1989