Title and Topic
Discipleship and Sabbath
Up to God in Worship
What words of the Psalms or other hymns has God used to encourage or challenge you this week? How does God’s work in your life through these words move you to thank and praise Him?
Proverbs 18:21 says that “death and life are in the power of the tongue.”
1. What have you witnessed of the power of words, spoken or written, to bring life or death in a community, family, or friendship?
Read Luke 7:11-17
2. What does Jesus see that evokes His compassion (11-13). What have you seen recently that has evoked your compassion, and how did you respond?
3. How does Jesus heal the man (13-15)?
4. Describe what the people learn about Jesus through this miracle–who Jesus is and and what He has come to do (16-17).
Read Hebrews 4:9-13
5. Hebrews 4:9 speaks of God’s rest. In what ways is the word rest used in the book of Hebrews? (See 3:11, 4:4, and 4:9)
6. What kept the Israelites from entering into God’s promised rest in the land He provided them? (See also Psalm 95:7-11). What lessons can be learned from them to apply to your own life?
7. How should a Christian resolve the tension between work and rest? For example, what does it look like for a person strive to enter God’s rest (11)?
8. Use the imagery of Hebrews 4:12 with the following scriptures to describe the powerful word of God:
Genesis 1:3,6-7,11,14-16, 28
John 1:1-3, Revelation 19:13
9.How does the word of God help His people to enter His rest (12-13).
Out in Mission
What will you do to hear and obey God’s word so that others may receive the blessing of His rest? (What do you need to let go of or take up? What do you need to confess or repent? Will you ask Jesus to open your eyes with His heart of compassion?)