Title and Topic
Restoration: How does the Resurrection Restore Leadership?
Transformation and Witness
The resurrection teaches that the way up is the way down.
1. 1 Timothy 4:6-16
2. Luke 6:27-31
Up in Worship
What restoring work has God done this week that causes you to praise, thank, and worship Him?
As you consider a world in great need of restoration, what are some of the key challenges leaders of the church face today? What attributes do leaders need in order to face these challenges?
Read 1 Timothy 4:6-16
1. What are some of the challenges Paul mentions facing the church of Ephesus in his day? (See 1:3-4, 6-7, 10; 4:1, 2, 7; 5:15,20; 6:10)
2. How does Timothy need to prepare as a leader in order to meet these challenges (6-8)?
3. How is training in godliness like training the body? Why is training in godliness of greater value than bodily training, though?
4. What motivates Paul and Timothy “to toil and strive” in the good fight of faith (9-10)? (See also 1 Timothy 1:15).
5. Why must Timothy as a leader devote himself both to sound doctrine and his lifestyle (11-16)?
6. What are the dangers of over-emphasizing one or the other (doctrine over behavior or vice versa) as it relates to the gospel of Jesus Christ? Where do you tend to lean, and what will you do so you may grow strong in both?
Read Luke 6:27-31 Christ the ultimate example of godliness teaches what it means to be his disciple in the Beatitudes.
7. How would you define training in godliness based on the teaching and example of Jesus?
8. How does the resurrection reveal God’s vindication of the life and teaching of Jesus (Matthew 27:42-43)? What does that mean for you as his disciple? (Romans 10:11)
Out in Mission
How can you and your life group encourage and support the leaders of your church in their fight for the cause of Christ in the world?
How may God be calling you, your family, or your life group to become a leader in Christ’s cause?
What changes do we need to ask God to make in order for others to see Christ’s example in us?