Title and Topic
Restoration: How does the Resurrection Restore the Church as the Bride of Christ?
Transformation and Witness
Jesus loves us so much he didn’t just depart to heaven leaving us without hope. He promises Simon Peter the beauty of a movement beyond the Resurrection.
Up in Worship
For what blessing have you received from serving at St. Michael’s Church that moves you to praise and thank God?
Read Matthew 16:13-18
1. If someone asked one of your old friends to describe who you were as a teenager, what would he or she say? What still remains true today that reveals something of your core identity?
2. What were the people saying about the identity of the Son of Man? Why?
3. How is Caesarea Phillipi, a center of Baal, Pan, and emperor worship, significant as a backdrop for Christ’s questions regarding His identity?
4. What does Peter say about who Jesus is? How does what you say about Jesus compare with those around you?
5. Give reasons for what you think Jesus means by upon this rock he would build his church.
6. How would the blessing and promise of Jesus help Peter then and later in his life and ministry (17-18)? How do these help you?
Read Ephesians 5:25-30
7. How does Paul describe Christ’s relationship with His church, and why did Christ give himself up for the church?
8. What do these verses reveal about the sacrament of marriage?
9. What difference will these descriptions make in your attitudes and actions toward others in the church? How do they inform your own identity?
10. How would you like to God restore His church as the Bride of Christ?
Out in Mission
How have the truths learned from these passages moved you pray for:
St. Michael’s Church,
your life group,
and yourself to live out God’s purposes in the culture we live?