Title and Topic
Lent: The Disciple Lives a Life of Temptation and Needs The Disciplines of Daily Study
Transformation and Witness
The Study of the Word of God through power of the Holy Spirit serves as one of the great defeaters of temptation and just as it transforms Jesus, it transforms the Disciple. The Bible is both a love letter and a compass from God. If we know we need to study it, HOW then do we study it?
Today’s takeaways: The Disciple will know how to read Scripture and identify some of the classics of Christian literature. The Disciple will see the Word of God as the Sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17).
The constant takeaway is this: People would know that Discipleship is learning to love, look and live more like Jesus.
1. Psalm 32 (L)
2. Deuteronomy 11:18-23 Put the Word on your doorposts and teach!
3. Matthew 22:23-29 Because you don’t know the Scriptures
Up in Worship
1. Who is truly blessed according to Psalm 32:1-5?
2. How has the Lord’s counsel through his unfailing love encouraged you to trust Him in a difficult situation (6-11)? What deliverance will you shout out in praise of Him?
3. When have you experienced the blessing of following God’s commands?
Read Deuteronomy 11:18-23
4. What does the LORD command His people to do with His word?
5. How may these actions serve to protect them from being enticed to worship other gods (16)?
6. What would these actions look like in your life?
7. How are God’s people to teach their children obedience to God and His word? How are you teaching the next generation? Where do you struggle with this, and how can we pray for you?
8. What does God promise in return for His people’s obedience? How does His promise encourage you? What other promises in the Bible do you use to defeat temptation?
Read Matthew 22:23-29
9. What had the Sadducee’s misunderstood according Jesus?
10. How does the resurrection substantiate God’s word, and what hope does it give you?
Out in Mission
In Romans 4:6-8, Paul uses Psalm 32 to show righteousness apart from works.How would you explain the goodness that comes from trusting God and obeying His word to an unbelieving friend or new Christian?