Title and Topic
Lent: The Disciple Lives a Life of Temptation and Needs The Disciplines of Fasting
Transformation and Witness
Fasting through the power of the Holy Spirit serves as one of the great defeaters of temptation and just as it transforms Jesus, it transforms the Disciple.
Today’s takeaways: The Disciple will know how to fast, and given resources to fast. The Disciple will also see how fasting can reveal the still small voice of Jesus.
The constant takeaway is this: People would know that Discipleship is learning to love, look and live more like Jesus.
1. Psalm 109:20-30
2. Acts 13:1-3
3. Matthew 6:16-18
Read Psalm 109:20-30
1. Describe the Psalmist’s condition in this passage. For what does he pray?
2. How does his response in v 30 compare to yours when faced with similar situations?
Read Acts 13: 1-3
3. In the Antioch church, where do the people come from and what gifts do they have? What unifies them?
4. What are they doing when the Holy Spirit speaks to them and what is the message?
5. How are they prepared to respond to the direction they receive?
6. Read Acts 14:23. What are the results of Paul’s and Barnabas’ actions?
Read Matthew 6:16-18
7. What guidelines does Jesus give about fasting?
8. Describe the uses of and attitudes toward fasting in these passages:
9. What is your experience with fasting?
10. In what ways can one “fast”?
11. When you are empty, how do you fill the void? What does that tell you?