Title and Topic
Lent: The Disciple Lives a Life of Temptation and Needs The Discipline of Prayer
Transformation and Witness
Prayer through the Holy Spirit serves as one of the great defeaters of temptation and just as it transforms Jesus, it transforms the Disciple.
Today’s takeaways: The Disciple will know how to pray, and given resources to pray. The Disciple will also see how prayer defeats Satan and his fingerprint of warfare.
The constant takeaway is this: People would know that Discipleship is learning to love, look and live more like Jesus.
1. Psalm 122
2. 2 Chronicles 7:14-15 If my people will humble themselves and seek my Face
3. Luke 9:28-36 The Transfiguration of Jesus on the Mountain Top
Up to God in Worship
What does it mean to give thanks to the name of the Lord (Psalm 122:4)?
How do you need to give thanks to His name?
What difference does giving thanks to God in community make?
1. What does the face reveal about a person?
Read 2 Chronicles 7:14-15
2. How may prayer be likened to seeking the face of God (14)? (See also Numbers 6:25-26; Exodus 33:11; Psalm 69:17; Isaiah 8:17; I Peter 3:12)
3. Where is God calling you to humble yourself and repent in order to pray for the forgiveness and healing needed in our land?
Read Luke 9:28-36
4. What happens to Jesus as He is praying? (29-31)
5. Why do you think Peter, James, and John are heavy with sleep?
6. Discuss the significance of what the disciples see once they became fully awake? (32-34)
7. What does the voice say about who Jesus is, and what are the implications of this statement (35)? (See also 18-20; 21-22; 26-27)
8. How would this vision of Jesus sustain Peter, James, and John in their mission? (See also 23-25; 2 Peter 13-19)
Out in Mission
The transfiguration of our Lord is the culmination of the earthly life of Christ, but in addition, it is the prelude to the death of our Lord Jesus on the cross. –G. Campbell Morgan, The Crises of the Christ Old Tappan, New Jersey: Fleming H. Revell, 1936, pp. 229-232.
How does the glorious life of Christ and death on the cross redefine your perspective of a disciple’s mission?
What should we pray for in order to see the glory of the Lord and be transformed (2 Corinthians 3:18)?