Title and Topic
Epiphany 2: Disciples are Called to Go to Dark Places on Mission
Transformation and Witness
You have heard the adage that Christian believers rush in when everyone else is rushing out. Our readings bring home the fact that this describes the life of a Disciple. As disciples who are learning to love, look and live like Jesus, it means doing what He did. Going in when others are giving up and falling down.
Today’s Takeaways: Our people would see the power of Jesus to go in when others are fleeing the demon possessed. How Jesus marches in with authority and cover. The prayer that our people at the same time would see themselves doing just that, under the power and authority of Jesus, delivering the people of God from the pain, sickness and the fingerprints of the evil one. The Disciple has POWER!
The constant takeaway is this: People would know that Discipleship is learning to love, look and live more like Jesus.
Acts 12:5-14 Peter leaves prison, people shocked!
Luke 4:31-37 Jesus taking out a demon
Up to God in Worship
What truths from Sunday’s message challenged you to a greater dependence on God this week? OR
What do you learn about taking refuge in the Lord from Psalm 7? How will you praise the Lord as your refuge?
Read Luke 4:31-37
1. Why were the people of Capernaum amazed and astonished by Jesus? (See also Mark 1:22 and Matthew 7:29)
2. What does it mean to have authority? How does one get authority, and what does the authority of Jesus reveal about Him?
3. Why do you think Jesus rebuked the demon, and what does it teach you about the purpose of demonic activity (33-36)?
4. Luke records Jesus casting out a demon as his first miracle. What does this miracle reveal about the work Jesus came to do, the kind of kingdom he came to establish, and the way in which he would do so?
5. How can you testify to the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ in your own life?
6. What does Matthew 17:20-21 teach you about the authority Christ shares with his disciples?
Read Acts 12: 5-14
7. What is the result of the church’s earnest prayer for Peter?
8. How have you experienced or witnessed opposition to God’s word and work that encourages you to pray (See also Acts 12:24)?
Out in Mission
Into what area of darkness may God be calling you to go in the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ? How may your group earnestly pray for God’s authority to be made known in and through your life?